Homemade edibles have always been made the old fashioned way – with cannabis flower or trim. The green tint and strong flavor in cannabis-infused butter is a result of of this process.
But you can also use concentrates like wax, shatter, live resin, etc to make homemade edibles, and using concentrates instead of flowers makes the process much easier because you only infusing, not extracting. You don’t have to strain plant matter out of butter or olive oil, and when you use a concentrate instead of flower, the melted, decarboxylated concentrate can be mixed directly into anything you want.
1. Silicone and glass are the only containers that your concentrate should touch.
2. Place the container in the oven but remove the plastic lid. If you use concentrate from
a syringe, place it in a small glass dish before placing in the oven. Use small
silicone spatulas to scoop every drop of concentrate. A gram of oil is small, so every drop counts.
3. Concentrates are STICKY. If you have a hard time getting it from the oven to your batter, add a tablespoon of butter or oil to the concentrate before you put it in the oven to decarb. The melted fat will help you transfer the concentrate and prevent it from sticking to bowls and spatulas.
4. When stirring concentrates into a recipe, make sure the concentrate is stirred evenly into wet ingredients. Don’t try to add a gram of melted wax to a cup of flour – it won’t mix in well. If you can, time it so you are mixing your wet ingredients as you pull the concentrate out of the oven.
5. Stir well. You want an even amount of cannabis oil in each serving, so the oil must be evenly mixed.
6. It’s not necessary, however, you can create infused butters and oils with concentrates. We like using concentrates in butter (let butter warm to room temperature, then stir in herbs/flavorings). Concentrates reduce the flavor of cannabis so the flavors we add, like honey, lavender and dill, make it taste better.
7. Do not make an alcohol tincture with concentrates. Hemp and alcohol do not create an emulsion, so the hemp doesn’t evenly distribute. Pouring a gram of melted wax into room temperature alcohol just creates a glob of oil at the bottom of the glass.
8. Dosing: RESTART CBD concentrates have approximately 1000mg cannabinoids like CBD, CBG, etc. You need to do a little comparison shopping to know if flower or concentrate is the more economical choice for you. One gram of hemp flower can have about 120-200mg CBD or other cannabinoids depending on the strain.