RESTART CBD is produced with CO2 extraction. When it comes to CBD products, the extraction method of the CBD is important. Most consumers probably never stop to consider this. However, the extraction method can be a major factor in the overall safety and quality of the final product.
Extraction matters because many oil extraction methods have the potential to produce traces of harmful solvents. If the final product becomes polluted through the extraction method, it doesn’t matter where it was sourced from or how well the growers care for their plants.
Currently, one of the most reputable extraction methods uses CO2 technology to get the oil out of the plant. This is what produces that potent, powerful CBD oil we all known and love. This method is also known as Supercritical Fluid Extraction using Carbon Dioxide. It is one of the safest ways out there to do CBD oil extraction.
To extract CBD-rich cannabis oil, one must start with CBD-rich plant material. There are many ways to extract oil from the cannabis plant, each has its pros and cons. Some methods are safer and more effective than others. Cannabis oil made with neurotoxic solvents like butane and hexane may leave unsafe residues that compromise immune function and impede healing.
Common Extraction Methods
- The supercritical (or subcritical) CO2 extraction works at lower temperatures. That makes this method better at preserving CBD and terpenes, or flavors, of the plant. This often makes the finished product more desirable. CO2 extraction is also much better for the environment.
- The CO2 method uses carbon dioxide under high pressure and extremely low temperatures to preserve, isolate, and maintain the purity of CBD. This process requires expensive equipment and a steep operational learning curve. But, when done well the end product is potent, safe, and free of chlorophyll.
- Supercritical cold CO2 extraction is the gold standard in extraction methods. Supercritical CO2 produces a more complete extraction.
- Cold separation is important because it maintains CBD and does not decarboxylate extracted oils in the process. Heat degrades botanical oils and can extract plant material, like chlorophyll, giving raw oils their green color.
- High-grade grain alcohol can be used to create high-quality cannabis oil appropriate for vape pen cartridges and other products.
- But this extraction method destroys the plant waxes, which may have health benefits that are favored by some product-makers.
- Because of its polar nature of ethanol as a solvent for primary extraction almost never reaches such concentrations of purity and therefore has its limitation in making a less pure CBD.
Good CBD manufacturers should be mindful of the fact that the extraction method is important. It is recommended that they opt to use an extraction method that will result in the purest botanical extract possible.