What is PACT?
- The Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act (PACT) was originally pass in 2009 and amended on December 27, 2020. The Act was created to regulate the shipment of cigarettes and smokeless tobacco.
- The 2020 amendment was updated to include “Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems” or ENDS. This includes empty or filled products.
- ENDS are defined as “Any electronic device that through an aerosolized solution delivers nicotine, flavor, or any other substance to the user inhaling from the device.”
- Vape pens
- Advanced refillable personal vaporizers
- Electronic pipes
- Vape batteries
- ENDS will now be treated like tobacco when it comes to shipping. That means strict bans from most shipping services.
- ENDS distributors and retailers must be PACT compliant.
When Does This Take Effect?
Distributors must be PACT compliant 90 days after the law was signed, or by March 26, 2021. However, shipping services have 120 days to enact their bans. PACT regulations are forcing all vape distributors and retailers to use private freight shipping services that will support the age verification service. Please understand that these new shipping methods will cause the cost of shipping to rise significantly. Unfortunately, this is entirely out of our control.
What To Do Now
USPS has stated that they may continue to ship ENDS until April 26, 2021. After this date, we believe that the only shipping methods that will be available for ENDS products will exclusively be through private LTL freight companies.
We strongly advise that you place your order as soon as possible before the ban goes into effect.
We appreciate your understanding as the industry works to overcome these difficult new regulations.